Friday, December 19, 2014

A Question for My Brothers (No. 3)

From Peter Crum


Usain Bolt set the record for running 100 meters, completing the distance in 9.58 seconds.
The following graph shows the fastest 100 meter times from 1975 through Bolt's record in 2009.


As anyone can clearly see, there is a downward trend over the 34 year span.  With a little help from mathematics, I was able to generate the following graph:


Using a Gaussian approach, the noise (bumpiness) of the original graph is cleaned up, and a curve which approaches (but never crosses) zero is generated.  Using this method, I have established that someone should run the 100 meter dash in almost zero seconds by the year 2760. 
If I take a more conservative approach, basically drawing a straight line between the points of the original graph, I come up with this:


According to this data, running the 100 meter dash in exactly zero seconds will occur in June of 2986 – and the very next day someone should run it in slightly less than zero seconds.  Now I realize that none of us will be around to confirm my predictions, so here's my question for you all:


Do you believe in math?

2 comments:

mom said...

Yes, but I am not a brother.

Jonathan said...

If math weren't real I would be making more money.